Friday 6 March 2015

8. My experience of watching the german casting show ‘Deutschland sucht den Superstar’ (Germany is looking for the superstar) (similar to X-Factor) as a young teenager and how it impacted my life

No triggers I think, but please tell me if I'm wrong.

I grew up watching this show and one of my biggest wishes when I was 13 was to be on it. I actually had already decided to go and audition there as soon as I turned 16, which is the age at which you can enter there. Watching some moments in the show completely changed that. Which is probably a good thing. I would have had a really rough time there. I know that because I saw some other people having a really rough time there. I’m not talking about ‘the funny ones’, the people who come to the auditions and really can’t sing and are therefore ridiculed - I really don’t want to know where this human condition came from. Anyway, I’m not talking about this phenomenon today (though maybe another time). I want to tell you about two moments in the history of the show. One of which made me reverse my decision to go on that show. The other made me stop watching the show. Both made me believe that the show was cruel and discriminative. All for the purposes of ‘entertainment.’ 
I first want to tell you about the moment that made me stop watching the show altogether. In 2009 they decided to ‘spice things up a bit’. In a Recall Challenge the boys had to basically sing while bungee-jumping from a crane-thing. If you were very afraid of heights you could not have done it. The girls had to sing while having a snake on their body. They had to look like they were enjoying it to score points with the jury. What? I mean I understand that it’s an entertainment show, but what? 
A) Why can’t boys and girls do the same thing? B) Why do people who are very afraid of heights or snakes be treated the same as people who bungee-jump for fun in their free time or who have a snake as a pet? Some of these people were terrified. Yet they were criticised for being afraid. The people said that that was ‘what Britney Spears was doing’. Well, Britney Spears probably wouldn’t have done it if she had been terrified of snakes. She would have done something else. I thought that this was so unfair and sickening that I directly switched off the TV and stopped watching the show altogether. I don’t get the fascination with shows like ‘I’m a Celebrity - get me out of here!’ I really, really don’t. But still. Perhaps the people in this casting show were even more vulnerable. Extremely young, seemingly close to fulfilling their dream and just as seemingly close to failing at it. And the show just treated them like crap. I mean wow. And I still remember this, even after six years.
The second moment I want to tell you about happened a year before. A sixteen-year-old girl came to a casting. She had quite a good voice if I remember correctly, good enough to pass the first casting at least. They made her beg. They made her drop on her knees and effing beg. How messed up and sick is that? And when they did let her through they called her back and took the glasses off her face and said: “Can’t you get contacts?” The woman judge said: “Look what a pretty girl you are!” - Without the glasses. The girl did get contacts, which actually infected her eyes - she was fine, no major consequences came from it, but she was red-eyed and in some level of discomfort for a while. She didn’t get as far as the live shows. Not only did I feel really bad for the girl, it also made me feel kind of heartbroken. I was a thirteen-year-old girl who was having self-esteem issues anyway. I believed that I was good at singing, my plan was to go on that show at age 16 and see how far I would get - I reckoned that I would either go through or, if not, wouldn’t be on TV because it at least wouldn’t be embarrassing. But - I wore glasses. I spent the next three years obssessing about getting contacts - even though they are less safe for your eyes than glasses. I thought that with glasses I would never be pretty enough to do anything, let alone become a singer. My eyes don’t take contacts. When the opticians tried to put them in, the only thing I ever achieved, was having a full-blown panic attack. I tried, again, and again. It didn’t work. Does that mean that I can’t be a singer? As far as I’m concerned, the fact that I wear glasses and my inability to get contact lenses into my eyes do not affect my ability to sing at all. Who knows, perhaps if I ever managed to wear contacts, I could play the piano with my feet and the violin with my hands, while singing a simultaneous duet with myself as both a low bass and a high soprano. If there was even the slightest indication of that being true, I would say:
“Oh, boy, you were right, contacts are awesome!”
But, of course, they wouldn’t be right, because even if that was true, I would still be able to sing just fine without the lenses.
In all probability, they were trying to prepare this young girl for the cruel, cruel world. In doing this, they were supporting the cruel, cruel world, saying “We approve of this discrimination.”

I don’t. I don’t approve of any discrimination. If you want to do a traditional Shakespeare’s play you would probably not be able to wear modern glasses. But if you’re playing yourself? If you’re a singer on a stage who isn’t trying to do anything but sing? Why on earth would it matter what they looked like? I think, even from a business-y point of view it’d be good to have singers who you can actually tell apart from one another.

5 comments:

  1. Hi:)
    I'm fourteen years old czech girl, and I found your blog few days ago. I was actually Google-searching some Would you rather...? in fandom edition, because I made a post on my fandom blog with my own ideas for questions and I wanted to try some more of this tag.
    I read all of your articles, but I decided to comment on this single one, because I feel like I can tell something on this topic.
    First of all, I'd like to say something to tasks in TV shows, in which participants must face some of their phobias. I experienced something similar as an audience as you did, watching czech Miss few years ago. Each of the girls had different task, and everyone must have seen it was pretty unfair. One girl got a ride in 'dangerous' rollercoster, but she laughed the entire ride and later she said she don't have problems with such a type of task. On the other side, they forced girl to lie on a bed, put scarf on her eyes so she couldn't see anything and let a big spider walk over her body while she had only bikini on her. She was really terrified and cried during and after the task. I was totally unfine about it and turned off the TV. I know that they must keep views and concept of TV competisions is getting boring, but there are other ways to keep show fresh then putting talent of people in talent show behind daredevil acts, which can scare them for life.
    Secondly, I agree with you on getting upset about glasses (and braces) stereotypes. People with glasses ARE and CAN be beautiful - different face suits different type of glasses of course, but you get the point. Movies keep telling us (and I talk about kids movies also) that if you want to make a girl prettier, you have to remove her glasses and braces, after what she will become queen of beauty. I have braces and yes, I would like to get rid of them, but not because I hate how I look with them, but because I'm bleeding from my mouth every night when I brush my teeth.
    If you have to wear them, you must not listen to other people and survive it somehow - hopefully one they you will shake them off (shake them off! Shake them off!). Girls (and boys too, of course) who decide to get type of braces which are "behind" the teeth just because they want to look good, aren't usually making a good choice - it will probably HURT more, it will be more DIFFICULT to brush them, it will be more EXPENSIVE and healing would last LONGER. And that all just because "I don't want to look stupid!" (I agree there are cases in which is this type of braces better, but let's talk about a normal girl/boy with problem in norm.)
    Things like Princess Diaries and Last Friday night are upseting me most. Anne Hathaway and Katy Perry are both really beautiful woman and they are presented like beautiful women only without the glasses. They put the ugliest one they found, but can't they just (I talk about PD now) give her a NORMAL pair of glasses? After changing her haircut she would look very pretty in simple modern glasses.

    I feel like I'm driving too far wizh my thoughts and my English isn't good, so I'll end it there. Have a nice day and if you would like to check my Would you rather article go on muj-fandom-ma-krev blog. I'm not telling you to do so, just if you would wanted it would be cool:)

    Greetings from Czech

    Barbora

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barbora, thank you for commenting on my post. Yes, I agree with you, all these popular films make it out as if an 'ugly' girl gets 'transformed' into a 'beautiful' girl by removing braces and glasses. If you've read my blog post 'Everywhere there's kindness, there's beauty' you'll know that I don't subscribe to this definition of beauty at all. If you remove glasses and braces from a person their beauty doesn't change at all. They're still the same person and for me, a person makes beauty, and not a picture. Of course, we don't actually know any of these characters in these movies that well that we'd see their inner beauty shine outwards, at least mostly we don't. And yeah, they do often pick the most old-fashioned pair of glasses to make the 'contrast' bigger. I wish I could make films which would show kids that, no matter if you have glasses, braces, a disability, are overweight, have no hair or whatever: You are just as beautiful as the kids who don't. Because you are you and you are a person. Maybe one day I will :) I'm sorry your braces are hurting you :( I used to have ones that were hurting me, too, so I was very glad when they got taken off. Everyone said: Oh, you have such 'pretty', straight teeth now. I just said: I'm just glad not to be in pain, thank you very much. I never wanted 'pretty' teeth. Maybe you should go to your or even a different orthodontist to make sure you aren't suffering unnecessarily?
      And I agree with you about the tasks. I would have just said 'no' and walked right out of there. Maybe we should encourage people saying no, rather than punish them for it?
      I took a look at your blog, unfortunately I don't understand that much of it, other than the pictures in English, but it looks cool :)
      Oh, and your English is great! :)
      All the best,
      L.

      Delete
    2. Hi and thanks for answering on my comment!
      I'm not so sure about my English, but hey - it's good enough to understand it (at least I hope it is).
      I agree my blog is messy - I write fanfiction only in Czech and other articles in both Czech and English, so WouldYouRather article and few others should be read-able (is that a word??) for you:)
      Once again thanks for your feedback
      B.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry for posting same comment twice^ ^^

    ReplyDelete